Saturday, January 13, 2007

The Final Exam

So the two days that I have been dreading since the last day of 7th grade have come: Final exams.

But as I experienced my first semester of High School, I have learned one important thing: there is more to graduating High School than passing Final Exams.

"I know change can be scary and public school can be a rough place spiritually...but Emily....all of those kids in your class and school need Jesus so desperately. Has God sent you on a mission for Him?"
I can remember Susan Johnson telling me that in an e-mail over the summer. I remember reading it and thinking "of course it(the school) is!" But you know what, I didn't really look at it that way. It was just another Christian cliche, some idea that gets repeated over and over again to many people. But as I learn more and more about Christ everyday, I learn that there is no such thing as a "Christian cliche." I finally untied my blindfold and looked around. You know what I found? A friend who has been trapped into worshiping the devil. A friend who drinks. A friend who is hurt. A friend who is stressed out. A friend who is blind to the truth. A friend who doesn't feel adequate. A friend who is struggling with her family. A friend who nobody likes. A friend who has the greatest hope in the world, a friend who is a blood relative of Jesus Christ, a friend who won't open her mouth to speak of Him in her public school.

I pray that God will use me this semester in a million ways. But even more so, I pray that I would actually let Him use me. My school is a big building fool of smart people, talented people, talkative people, funny people, amazing people, and above all lost souls. Hopefully, when final exams come around again at the end of the second semester, I will get a better "grade" on the most important final exam of all.

I will leave you with the thoughts of Wayne Watson:

For such a time as this
I was placed upon the earth
To hear the voice of God
And do His will
Whatever it is
For such a time as this
For now and all the days He gives
I am here, I am here
And I am His
For such a time as this

7 comments:

B r i t t n e e said...

aww emily i never have thought of that kind of mission as a final exam. wow you are one intelligent girl with a secret that is just itching to burst out of you, me, rosie and other Christians. you have proviked some thought.

love you. God has used you, He used you to find Me. thanks He has used you already, and i have no doubt He will use You again.

LOVE YOU

Rosieee! said...

Wow...

I guess every day is an exam, if you want to look at it that day. Every day we open that door with the stupid little "buzzer" sign on it, we're walking into a test, and our first multiple-choice question is whether or not we're going to shine for Christ.

Then as the day goes on we enter the gray area of essay questions and daily points. And we're graded on how well we explain who Jesus is and what He says. How much we participate in living the Christian life and sharing the gospel. How often we study the ultimate textbook. How well we do on the everyday quizzes that are all those temptations.

And looking back over what I just said and what you just said... that's intense. This second semester is going to be a big one. Never never never forget that God has already used you, though- in Brittany, and in me- and He loves you no matter what grade you get :]

I LUFF YOU!

Emily Marie said...

...someday you will be a beastly writer...

but for now, i luff you too!

Kristen! said...

Press on, Girl, press on.

Or shall I say . . SHINE ON!!

You amaze me! I love you!

B r i t t n e e said...

i was with you in the valley
And up upon that hill
So take just one more step in front of you
For I am with you still you still
And you're not alone
Shine on Shine on
And onto something new its long and overdue
I will remember you
Shine on shine on


haha i know you love that song... just so happens... so do i!

i second Kristen... SHINE ON

Rosieee! said...

SHE'S LIKE A MOTH!

Rosieee! said...

AND THE DRAGON COMES IN THE NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!